September 2, 2015
Dear Choir Parent and Student,
Welcome to Poulsbo Middle School Choral department! We hope you will find a comfortable home in the PMS Music Department; some exciting things are underway! Thank you for your support, and particularly for encouraging your student to continue in their study of music. This investment of time, effort, and energy will create a harvest of life-long dividends beyond measure.
At Poulsbo Middle, we are committed to a strong tradition of musical excellence! Parents and students, along with a strong partnership with the PMS faculty and administration, hold the keys to success as we continue to create a program that is:
· Seated in excellence and inspired by PRIDE.
· Designed to assist vocalists as they become more musically independent.
· Able to utilize the collective hard work with rewards that are… FUN!
· PERFORMANCE-based, as choir program that is ACTIVE in school, community and abroad.
In this handbook you will find a checklist of required materials:
· Concert attire requirement. Specific, but not expensive, or reason to despair!
· Grading Policy. Understanding this is the key to your child's success.
· Attendance, attitude, and citizenship.
· Performance Calendar.
· Theory and personal practice.
· Choir Commitment contract/receipt: READ entire packet and SIGN both sides of the contract. Students turning in contracts by the FIRST Friday will earn 100%, as their first assignment.
Before too much time passes, please mark the performance dates on your calendars. I would also suggest passing these dates along to the other activities your student is involved in. For example, league sports, dance classes, church youth groups, etc. I have found, in the past, that if these leaders know about these dates in advance they are very willing to work around them. The performances are a part of the district curriculum. I will also keep a copy of this information on file in case you may need it in the future.
On the commitment contracts I have asked for your email address to compose a “Choir Parent/Student Email list”. This is a completely optional and private list; strictly for PMS Choir purposes only. This tends to be a more direct line of communication than handouts that may or may not reach your eyes. Feel free to send me an email, include your child's first and last name, and I will add you to the list.
If you would like to be involved in our Music Boosters group you will receive separate information in the coming days. The group meets at 6:00pm the second Monday of each month. Volunteering is a great way to put into action your “unconditional” support!
I am looking forward to guiding your child's musical growth. You will find two copies of the performance dates in the back of this handbook for convenient calendar checking.
Again, it is a privilege to have your student as a valued musician in our choir program. You play an important role in everything we do!
Director of Choirs